Embracing the Divine Will in Everyday Life

 

Life often unfolds in ways we don't expect, bringing with it moments of frustration, disappointment, and confusion. We question why certain things happen—why plans fall apart, why illnesses strike, or why obstacles seem to block our path just as we are about to succeed. Yet, in his book Abandonment to Divine Providence, Jean-Pierre de Caussade urges us to see beyond these frustrations. He invites us to recognize the hand of God in every event, even in those moments we deem unfortunate. Through this lens, the so-called misfortunes, accidents, and disappointments become opportunities for faith, trust, and growth.

I have faced my share of challenges, particularly as a homeschooling mother. There are days when nothing goes according to plan. One morning, I woke up eager to tackle a list of tasks, only to find that one of my children had come down with a fever. The day I had imagined—filled with lessons and productive activity—quickly turned into a day spent comforting my sick child. At first, I felt frustration rising, thoughts of “why now?” echoing in my mind. But as the day wore on, I remembered the call to embrace God's will in every circumstance.

Much like the Jews of Jesus' time who failed to recognize his sacred presence, we, too, often fail to see the divine action in our daily lives. Instead of trusting in the infinite wisdom of God, we complain. We forget that every event, big or small, is part of His perfect plan for us. De Caussade reminds us that God's will is never mistaken, never harmful. Even when things seem most difficult, it is always exactly what we need.

Take, for instance, the complaints we often make: "This person is making my work impossible!" or "Why am I struggling financially when I’ve been working so hard?" or "Why did I get sick just when my health was most needed?" We act as if we know better than God, as if we can improve upon His actions. But de Caussade tells us plainly: What God does not grant must be useless.

It’s a simple truth, but a hard one to accept. Yet, I have seen its fruits in my own life. The day my plans fell apart because of my child's fever, I realized later that it was a gift. It was an opportunity to slow down, to reconnect with my child in a tender, unhurried way. The stillness that came from caring for her gave me the space to reflect on the many things I had been rushing through in my own spiritual life. In hindsight, that day was not wasted; it was a blessing.

How often do we miss these blessings because we are too focused on our own plans? How often do we, like the Jews, fail to see the sacred in the midst of our daily lives? De Caussade reminds us that the divine will is always present, always working for our good, even when we don’t understand it. Our senses and our reason may be confused, but our faith knows better.


I remember another time when a financial setback hit our family hard. It seemed unfair, especially given how hard my husband had been working. I found myself complaining and questioning God's plan. But as the weeks passed, I started to see how this financial strain was drawing us closer as a family. We had to simplify our lives, but in that simplicity, we found joy in things we had previously overlooked. We spent more time together, shared more meals, prayed more intentionally. The setback, which at first seemed like an unfair burden, became a blessing.

De Caussade’s words call us to shift our perspective. Instead of seeing life’s difficulties as obstacles, we should see them as sacred moments where God’s will is at work. Even if we cannot understand the “why” at the moment, faith invites us to trust that there is a reason, a divine purpose, behind every twist and turn in our lives.

It’s not easy. As a mother, I want to protect my children from struggles, to have everything go smoothly for them. But I have come to realize that even in their challenges—whether it’s a tough math problem or a difficult social situation—God’s will is at work. Each struggle is an opportunity for them to grow in perseverance, patience, and faith, just as each of my own struggles offers me the same opportunity.

The life of faith, as de Caussade puts it, is a continuous struggle against the senses. We naturally want to avoid discomfort and seek control, but God calls us to surrender that control. To trust in His divine action, even when it doesn’t make sense to us. The more obscure and confusing a situation may seem, the more it invites us to deepen our trust in God.

For those of us trying to live faithfully in this noisy, chaotic world, these words are both a challenge and a comfort. They remind us that nothing happens by accident. Every moment, every event is part of God’s divine will for us. And while we may not always understand it, we can trust that it is always for our good. As de Caussade beautifully writes, “The divine action by one and the same stroke kills and gives life; the more one feels the death to the senses and reason, the more convinced should one become that it gives life to the soul.”

In embracing the divine will, we free ourselves from the constant struggle to control and perfect our lives. We learn to trust in God’s perfect timing and plan, finding peace in the midst of life’s uncertainties. And, ultimately, we grow closer to Him, as we learn to see His hand in every moment, even the ones we least expect.

Let us, then, take a step back from our complaints and frustrations, and instead, look for the divine action at work in our lives. With faith and trust, we can transform our challenges into opportunities for grace, growth, and a deeper connection with God.

Comments