The Divine Influence Alone Can Sanctify Us: A Journey of Grace and Simplicity

 


In the hustle of daily life, it's easy to get caught up in our own efforts to achieve sanctity. We often think that reading the right books, performing particular rituals, or gaining a certain knowledge will lead us to spiritual perfection. But as Jean-Pierre de Caussade wisely notes, true sanctification comes not from our efforts alone but from the divine influence of God working through our daily lives.

Reflecting on this, I am reminded of a time when I was struggling to find balance between my responsibilities and my spiritual life. I would spend hours reading spiritual books, trying to understand complex theories, hoping that this would bring me closer to God. Yet, despite my efforts, I often felt a sense of emptiness. It was only when I shifted my focus from seeking knowledge to simply being present in my daily tasks and accepting the divine will in each moment that I began to experience a deeper sense of peace and connection with God.

De Caussade's message resonates deeply with me: it’s not about the quantity of our readings or the grandeur of our actions but about recognizing and aligning with God's will for each moment. For instance, on days when my health wasn’t at its best, I realized that my true spiritual practice was not pushing myself to do more but accepting my limitations with grace and focusing on what God was calling me to do in that state.

I recall an instance when I had to relinquish personal time for quiet reflection to focus on my children’s needs. Initially, this felt like a loss, but in reality, it was a moment of profound sanctification. By fulfilling my duties with love and acceptance, I experienced a grace that transcended any personal struggle.

Our daily moments, whether filled with joy or challenge, are opportunities for God’s grace to work within us. It’s not about understanding every divine plan or mastering spiritual exercises but about living each moment with trust and simplicity, allowing God’s will to shape our lives. This is where true sanctification lies: in the quiet, simple acceptance of the divine influence working through our everyday experiences.

The divine influence alone sanctifies us, making every moment a chance to connect more deeply with God. Embracing this perspective transforms ordinary moments into extraordinary acts of faith, allowing us to live fully in God's grace and love.

Comments